Home   |   Our Adoption Story   |   About Me

5.24.2011

Help for Joplin

If you are like me you are overwhelmed with the news out of Joplin, MO. 
This story hit close to home for me because one of my dearest friends from school, Joey Brown,  lives in Joplin now.  She has been keeping us updated on the happenings in the area.  Having updates from her view point is so much more personal than anything you see on the news. 

Today she has asked for help! 

Here is a portion of her note:

"No doubt you all have some idea of the situation we're dealing with in Joplin. Me and mine are all safe and damage-free. However, seven of my friends have lost their homes and all their belongings. I'm particularly concerned for two of them: Amelia Parks, the English Department secretary, and Mike Rodgers, one of our English professors.

Amelia and her husband Matt are in their early 20s, both recent college grads, an...
d married just over a year. They are expecting their first baby in July.

Mike and his wife Sherry also lost their home. Mike has been teaching at MSSU for more than 20 years, and Sherry has been a special-ed teacher in/around Joplin.

Both of them have family and friends looking out for them, and they will be able to receive available aid. Meanwhile, their situations are pretty dire.

I'm calling on my old friends and colleagues to help out. Here's what you can do:

If you can send a note or card of encouragement, that'd be wonderful.

If you're able, make a donation to Red Cross or a faith-based organization of your choice.

If you want to send money to me, I will give it directly to Amelia and Mike. That's a lot to ask, I know. Times are hard for lots of us. But a few bucks will go a long way in these cases.

If you can't give anything, don't worry and don't apologize. I know it's a lot to ask. Prayers and good thoughts will go just as far.
"

It only takes a minute to send a card or note.  Please consider doing something to help out!
If you can help with this request,  please leave me a comment or contact me directly through email at letitsnowblog@yahoo.com and I will get Joey's contact information to you.

She is my personal friend.  She can be trusted and has a great heart!  If you want to send money directly to her to go directly to the victims I can assure you it will be given to those in need!

No comments:

Post a Comment